Thursday, June 2, 2011

New Car Seat Regulations

If you haven't heard here are the new car seat regulations!


Rear facing car seat-until baby is 2 years old!!!
Booster seat-until child is 4'9"!!
Can't be in front seat until age 13!


Wow these have changed a LOT since I was a kid! My husband doesn't like the idea of having our youngest son being in a rear facing car seat until the age of 2. I don't blame him but I will always go by what's safer for my children. I just don't like the idea that I can't see my child while in the car. It's so much easier if they're facing forward you can hand them things and talk to them easier, etc. (I'm talking as if I'm the passenger..not the driver) 


Being in a booster seat until that height seems a little ridiculous because when a average child is that height they're between 8 and 12 years old! I can understand why the regulation is there though. Apparently if your child is too short for the seat, then the seat belt will be positioned on the tummy not the hip bone, and could crush their organs when in an accident. I just really don't like that I have to have 2 types of seats in my back seat when we have a small car. BUT like I said, I will always follow these regulations. 


Being in the back seat until age 13, I also understand why they don't want them in the front seat until then because of the risk of being hurt by an air bag. BUT I remember being like 6 riding in the front seat as a child. My oldest son who will be 6 in October is CONSTANTLY bugging me to let him ride in the front. He just can't wait until that day I'll say yes! And again, of course I will make him wait until he's 13.


What are your opinions and thoughts on this subject?!

No comments:

Post a Comment